forgot password?

Help! I need some chocolate advice!!
Posted: 28 July 2008 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2008-07-05

Because of certain situations, I can only shop for groceries once a month. Which means I stock up on candy, chocolate and such at this time. This does get a little difficult as it is sometimes hard to tell what I’m going to crave from one day to the next. My question is, how well does chocolate freeze? And does all chocolate freeze the same or do different brands/types freeze better or worse than others? In particular, I’m wondering about, most of the Reese’s line, and the Hershey’s Pot of Gold Asst.

Part of the problem as well is that I don’t have air conditioning in the part of the house that I live in. (It’s a finished basement room with walkout doors to the backyard.) The room stays cool enough with a few fans for me, but for chocolate, it’s death. I’ve even taken to eating mini-bar versions of my favorites as a whole bar can really start to melt fast in this room.

I just want to make sure I can stock up on my favs, and store them in the deep freezer we have and not compromise their taste.

Also, I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about the Reese’s Batman chocolate? We got the dark and milk versions of the small pieces, but I have yet to see the large single bat version. Are they still producing those? Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated!

Signature 

Posted: 28 July 2008 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  172
Joined  2005-09-11

Freezing chocolate is actually a much better idea than refrigerating it.

The trick to keeping them from taking on other freezer odors is to package them well. Put them inside a paper bag and then inside a plastic freezer bag or two. (Or put them into a freezer safe container.)

When you’re ready to thaw it out, let it come to room temperature inside the wrapper (or take out what you want and put that inside a sealed container to keep it from “sweating”).

I’ve kept truffles in the freezer for up to 6 months and chocolate chips for a year. (I also don’t have AC.)

I still haven’t found the big bats in dark chocolate but stumbled across the milk chocolate big bats at Dollar Tree in Dublin, CA.

Signature 

Open your mouth ... expand your mind.

Posted: 31 July 2008 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Joined  2008-07-05

Thank you for the advice! My mini-fridge in my bedroom only has a tiny box freezer. So keeping them in the big freezer which is upstairs on the other side of the house, has an added bonus of stopping me from gorging on chocolate in the middle of the night. I’ve lost almost 75 lbs since last October and would like to keep it off!  cheese  My will power has wavered somewhat however, since I’ve become addicted to your blog. I love to just sit and surf around on it and see how many different types of candy we both have the same opinion on.

Oh, btw… I finally, “woo-hoo!!!”, found some large Reese’s Bats yesterday. Toys R Us had two boxes near the register. What was funny is that I had gone there with someone else, and didn’t have my wallet with me! I had a handful of change which was enough to buy just one. So now I’m going to see how long I can hold out on eating it.

Signature 

Posted: 04 August 2008 05:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Bit o Honey
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2008-07-02

Also, I think that candy bars like Snickers and Milky Way are nice eaten frozen. The community pool by me freezes all it’s candy so it doesn’t melt, and serves it frozen. It’s a nice, cool treat.

Posted: 14 August 2008 08:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Junior Mint
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2008-08-14

Yep, most chocolate freezes nicely. I especially enjoy kit kats and milky Way darks frozen. *DO* be careful though, some nut bars and other certain candies become rock hard and difficult to break hunks off of straight from the freezer and I suppose could cause dental issues. You may have to let them warm up for a couple of minutes. I also have munched frozen resse’s before, and they’re pretty good. Kit kats and reese thaw out quickly, so if you want to munch them cold- especially in summer, eat them up quick! Some Cumberland Farms where I live even keep some candy bars in the freezer on display. I have found that Almond Joy/Mounds DO NOT freeze well. They get this weird, chewy texture that doesn’t go away after.

And for a real fun time- stick some fruit roll ups in the freezer. They turn into a brittle, glass like thing that are a lot of fun to smash, but can also cut up your mouth if you aren’t careful. They thaw out really fast too.

Signature 

...The snowman is watching you!

Posted: 15 August 2008 03:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Joined  2008-07-05

Thanks for all the great advice guys! I never thought I would be able to get used to not having an air conditioner, but I can honestly say that other than about two days of a heat wave a few weeks ago, I’ve been comfortable all summer. I actually was really cold last night! The temp was in the lower 60’s.

But the one thing I just can’t put up with is not being able to enjoy my chocolate without it melting everywhere. Well at least keeping in the freezer has definitely made it last longer as I often think twice before running upstairs to get a chocolate bar!

Image Attachments
candystash.gif
 Signature 

Posted: 15 August 2008 06:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Junior Mint
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2008-08-14

Hehe, that’s a nice looking stash smile Since it has been so crazily cool around here lately for summer with all this rain we’ve been having, i’ve got a chocolate stash in my locker at work with no fears of it melting. Though, I think I might bring it home while i’m away on vacation this week just to be safe on the off chance the New England weather pulls a complete 180 and we start getting temps over 75 degrees again.

Signature 

...The snowman is watching you!

Posted: 15 August 2008 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Junior Mint
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2008-07-11

I think chocolate tastes good frozen
it takes longer to eat which I think leaves me more satisfied than when I eat room temperature chocolate

Posted: 15 August 2008 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Bit o Honey
RankRank
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2008-07-01

Zero bars are *excellent* frozen. wink

As for the big Reeses’ Bats, I found mine in my local Wegmans.

Signature 

thecandyenthusiast.com