forgot password?

Sponge/Honeycomb/Sea Foam candy
Posted: 15 July 2008 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2008-07-12

Last year, while in Africa I had a Crunchie bar ((which I haven’t been able to find AT ALL in the States…)).  Wanting to duplicate the experience, I decided to try my hand at making sponge candy.  Actually, I’ve tried it several times, all utter failures.  The first time, the candy burned and other tries have resulted in flat candy, candy that stuck unmercifully to the pan/wax paper, and candy that had cooled too much before transferring it.

Has anyone made successful sponge candy?  How do you keep it from sticking?  Does parchment paper work?  What are your secrets for making this candy a success?

Posted: 15 July 2008 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Bit o Honey
RankRank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2008-07-02

I haven’t made sponge candy but I can say parchment paper works excellently for keeping sticky stuff from gluing itself to surfaces. I use it for everything from cookies to pizza to recently cooling caramel in a pan.

Posted: 29 July 2008 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2008-07-02

something that’s REALLY helpful for candy making (and really, all sorts of cooking/baking projects) is to buy a silpat / generic silicone mat.  nothing sticks to these suckers.

i tried making honeycomb candy once… about half of it tasted great, the other half collapsed and was way too hard.  unfortunately those “halves” were all jumbled together.  you gotta move -fast- with that stuff.

Posted: 23 November 2010 06:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-11-14

I’m new here so I may be a little late in replying - I make sponge candy. 

Tips:

1) butter or spray your parchment paper with canola oil spray - guaranteed not to stick wink
2) when it reaches temperature, slide the pan to another burner, sift the baking soda over the top (don’t just dump it in one lump - my first mistake) and mix very quickly and thoroughly

I have seen where the baking soda was mixed with powdered sugar and bloomed gelatin and set aside.  When the liquid was just about to temp, they removed a ladle full and thoroughly mixed it into the powdered sugar mixture, and then poured that slurry into the molten sugar.  That’s on my list of techniques to try.