forgot password?

Coffee beans…Really?
Posted: 05 July 2008 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-07-05

I don’t know if the chocolate covered coffee beans are really considered candy, or not.  I love coffee, so I’m curious about these.  If someone has tried them can you tell me if they are actually coffee beans inside chocolate?  I would think they are very bitter.  If they’re good, let me know where to buy them

Signature 

Cdzlvr tongue wink

Posted: 05 July 2008 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  172
Joined  2005-09-11

I’ve had quite a few different brands of chocolate covered coffee beans.

They’re very strange, because the espresso bean is crunchy, but can be a little fibery as well.

They’re strong and can sometimes be bitter, it all depends on the beans.

You might want to find a store that would let you sample one or two or a friend who is willing to share with you. I didn’t like them at first when I tried them as a teen, but I’ve found I’m much more tolerant of bitter tastes as I get older. (And can now drink my coffee black, whereas back then I was taking both milk and sugar in my coffee.)

Starbucks Chocolates version (sold in drug stores & discount chains) are covered in Milk Chocolate and are a bit sweeter.

Another option is something called Mocha Beans. They’re a coffee flavored chocolate that’s shaped like a coffee bean.

I’ve found those from Koppers Chocolates (http://www.kopperschocolates.com) and they’re usually in bulk bins but sometimes coffee houses will sell them. There are probably other brands too (I found a German one from Feodora that I quite liked.)

Signature 

Open your mouth ... expand your mind.

Posted: 09 July 2008 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2008-07-02

Yep, it’s really coffee beans!  I actually prefer them to a cup of coffee.

Posted: 09 July 2008 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-07-07

They do seem weird if you think about them too much, but I adore them!  So much so that I’ve learned to ration myself carefully, so as to avoid having the shakes (not that I’d eat that many at once…no, not I…*whistles*).

Posted: 12 July 2008 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2008-07-10

One of the coffee stands that I used to go to would put a chocolate covered bean on top of the whipped cream whenever you got a mocha.

I love them… I don’t have them that often anymore because of dental issues… but I’d much rather suck the chocolate off of them than off of a chocolate covered almond… LOL

Posted: 28 July 2008 07:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2008-07-05

I love the Starbucks chocolate covered beans. Unfortunately they do tend to be a bit pricey for a small box. But the coffee bean is usually fresh and crunchy and the chocolate is fairly good as well, as long as it’s fresh. When I had an office job, I used to keep these on my desk and would pop a few between afternoon coffee breaks if I was particularly dragging that day. They really can give you a little bit of pep!

Also, one of my favorite drinks is the Starbucks Frappechino called Java Chip, where they chop up some of the choc-covered beans in with the drink. Be careful if you drink a large though, because I’m used to having a LOT of caffeine in a day, but this even gave me the shakes.  surprised

Signature 

Posted: 28 July 2008 08:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Bit o Honey
RankRank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2008-07-02

Our local fair every end of summer has various chocolate stands, and I’ve gotten chocolate covered espresso beans. Much more affordable than Starbucks, and quite a kick to them! I’d only eat maybe 5-6 before packing them away - which is probably for the best. smile

Posted: 07 August 2008 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-07-28

This topic prompts me to write about another candy I’ve been looking for recently but have been unable to find.  Cost Plus World Market used to sell “Mocha Beans”.  They were shaped like coffee beans, with the characteristic “split” on the bottom, but they were solid coffee flavored chocolate.  They didn’t actually have an espresso bean like the chocolate covered beans we’ve been discussing here.

If anyone knows where I can get them, I’d be grateful to know.  I used to get them for my wife as stocking stuffers at Christmas.

Posted: 07 August 2008 09:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2008-07-05

I know the coffee beans you’re talking about Fizzer. My brother got some for me not long ago. I don’t know if you have any small type candy stores in your area, but that’s where he found them. We have a small candy store called the Candy Factory and another one in the mall called Mr. Bulky’s and they both had those.

Signature 

A&W;Floats ››