forgot password?

Running Out of Chocolate!
Posted: 23 November 2010 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-11-14

Has the profit margin become too low for growers to continue to produce chocolate?  Are they switching to more profitable crops instead?  This article has me wondering ... and WORRIED!

http://gizmodo.com/5685499/were-running-out-of-chocolate?

Posted: 27 December 2010 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2008-07-03

It’s kind of chilling to think of a near future in which chocolate is a costly delicacy (a la caviar and truffles)affordable only to the wealthy. Think of the CHILDREN! As a child who savored Milky Way bars, Cella’s Cordial Cherries (a bit messy but delectable!) and Junior Mints, I shudder to think of a future wherein little “Caitlin” or little “Owen” may never get to taste so much as a Hershey bar unless she or he has the Trumps or the Bill Gateses or the Warren Buffetts as parents

[ Edited: 30 December 2010 11:29 PM by Sweet Sparkina]

Posted: 30 December 2010 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-11-14

What a great analogy smile

I already see chocolate as a delicacy like caviar.  You get what you pay for and the roe on sushi would be about the level of a Milky Way or Junior Mints.  Still affordable to the majority.  Enjoyable yes, but top quality?  Now if the Beluga caviar of the chocolate world, Callebaut should ever reach $5k/lb, the world as I know it would be shattered!

Posted: 22 May 2011 09:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2008-07-03
TC - 31 December 2010 01:45 AM

What a great analogy smile

I already see chocolate as a delicacy like caviar.  You get what you pay for and the roe on sushi would be about the level of a Milky Way or Junior Mints.  Still affordable to the majority.  Enjoyable yes, but top quality?

But . . . but . . . but I like Milky Ways! grin