forgot password?

Do you remember the BEST LIFE-SIZE EASTER CANDY EGGS EVER?
Posted: 18 March 2010 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-03-18

When I was a kid in NY (upstate) during the ‘70’s, one of my aunts would give each child who visited her home during Easter one of the BEST things I’ve ever eaten:

Life-sized candy eggs that were packaged in a real egg carton. They had a hard, thin, opaque matte white sugar shell and a thick layer of dark chocolate inside, which in turn was lined with a thin edible wafer, though the egg itself was hollow. I don’t remember if there were prizes inside, but I think there were.

These were NOT the Kinder eggs from Germany, which are simply hollow dark chocolate covered in white chocolate, wrapped in foil.

These eggs were a little tricky to break open. They were sweet but not overwhelming, and they were satisfyingly crunchy and really fun to receive and eat.

My online investigations led to several dead ends. These may have been made by or imported by Perugina, and circulated in Manhattan during the seventies. For some reason I thought they were from Germany. I don’t know if my aunt had them delivered from NYC or from Europe, but I haven’t seen these since 1979.

If you remember them or know where to find them, holla!