forgot password?

Sugar Babies
Posted: 03 November 2009 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-11-03

I just joined today, so hello to all.  wink

I bought a book several years back about making candies, and have never had any time to make them. But of late I’ve been thinking about the book again.
I always like to ‘play’ with the recipes too, to try and make them my own, often to try and duplicate the flavor of something from my past.
So tonight I started thinking of when we used to go to the movie theatre (as children) and ‘Sugar Babies’... the sugary, gritty texture that melted in your mouth after a few moments, and that half-crunchy sugared shell…yum! smile
The taste I remembered reminded me a bit of toffee, but softer of course, and with a tad of chocolate.
Here’s what I came up with:
(PS: My candy thermometer had humidity somehow get in and ruined the degree-chart, so did it by water-test)

Sugar Babies (insides)

*1 cup butter
*1 cup light brown sugar, slightly packed
*1 tsp. Hershey’s Chocolate Syrup

Melt the butter and light brown sugar in small saucepan, stirring occasionally. let it boil, then stir more often. After it is boiling well, (4-5 mins) add the chocolate syrup. I began testing a string in water about a minute afterwards, and it took another 3 or 4 minutes to get the soft, gooey consistency i was looking for.
Spread on buttered wax paper on chilled cookie sheet, spread out and chill in refrigerator a few minutes.

*Note: I got very close to the taste I was looking for, an instant reminder of sugar babies as soon as it hit my tongue! smile
But now I’d love YOUR HELP!
Can someone with more experience than I take this a step further and help me think of a way to make the shell that coats them? And any ideas on making them the shape of the sugar baby too.
Thanks to all,
A

Posted: 23 November 2010 06:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-11-14

I’m new so obviously this question has been sitting out here for quite a while, but I’ll see what I can do to help.

I’m trying to remember that coating from when I was a kid.  And I recall not caring much for the grainy texture.  The texture could be replicated by adding fine grain sugar to your mixture at the end of the cooking process.  Or maybe try a stirred toffee which will create the crystals earlier in the cooking process.  Yeah, that was kind-of like a toffee - brought up to firm ball or hard ball stage.  Maybe try 250?