forgot password?

Looking for candy rocks (as opposed to rock candy)
Posted: 07 October 2009 07:25 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-10-07

Years ago, I found a huge Japanese Candy shop in Manhattan (can’t remember what neighborhood) I bought dried squid, gummies, chocolates, and my favorite - chocolate candies that looked exactly like rocks.

I need to buy lots of these for an edible promo piece I’m producing for a modern home real estate saleswoman. It’s basically a gingerbread mid-mod home. I’m also interested in using them for my NohFace costume this halloween - especially if there’s a way to spray them with an edible gold-coloured finish.

I’m interested in knowing the name of the candy manufacturer, and if possible, the name of the chain of Japanese candy stores, because it seemed like it was an international chain. I think the brand aesthetic centered around red and black. The interior was lit like a high-end boutique with lots of blonde woods throughout.

thanks in advance!

boukisan

Posted: 07 October 2009 08:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  172
Joined  2005-09-11

Hi boukisan & welcome!

First, I think the candy store may have been Aji Ichiban. There are quite a few of them scattered around the edges of the US, we have one here in the Los Angeles area as well and I’ve been to one in New York’s Chinatown.

Second, there are a few companies that do chocolate candy rocks. One I know of is Kimmie.

http://www.shopkimmiecandy.com/ChocoRocks_s/2.htm

They might be able to sell you just the golden yellow (not metallic) ones.

Also, if you’re looking for just gold colored ... did you consider Gold Mine Gum?

I’ll keep thinking on it ...

Signature 

Open your mouth ... expand your mind.

Posted: 07 October 2009 08:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Joined  2009-10-07

Thank you so much! That’s the store! Those candied roses are amazing. I gotta go back.

Thanks for the link to the pebble candy - I found an edible gold airbrush spray by Chefmaster. I’ll mark this post down and site it in my instructable and come back to post images of the results - if they are worth posting.

cheers,

boukisan

Posted: 07 October 2009 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Joined  2009-10-07

Oh yeah - nice forum. Most forums are a cluttered mess, this one’s sweet and simple!