forgot password?

1 of 2
Packaging Design - will it make you buy the candy?
Posted: 01 July 2008 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  172
Joined  2005-09-11

There are some candies that I just love the packaging on.

Dolfin large bars come in a cool tobacco style pouch that easily folds and seals the chocolate in (and kind of pads it as well).

Simple foil wrapping of Hershey’s Kisses of Reese’s Miniatures do the job so well.

Some are so maddening. I got the Reese’s Bat Miniatures and could not get the bag open without scissors. (Or worst case scenario, I do end up getting it open and of course tear it to shreds and everything goes everywhere.)

Another bad one is the York mint tins ... so hard to get open without spilling.

I know there are more great and not so great examples. What are yours?

Signature 

Open your mouth ... expand your mind.

Posted: 02 July 2008 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-07-02

Boxes tend to drive me up the wall, because once you open up the “convenient” slot on the side, it never wants to close back perfectly again…I’m thinking of the “movie” size candy boxes…then, to kick it up a notch, you buy one of those boxes, only to find that the candy is actually in tiny plastic bag, that is on occasion difficult to open, not to mention deceiving!

Posted: 02 July 2008 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2008-07-02

Yes, packaging will definitely make me buy! I love things packaged in thick quality paper, like the Theo bars. I also notice I am willing to pay more if something looks simple and artistic as opposed to flimsy and overly busy. This purchase-for-appearance clause only works the first time around, though, because once I’ve tried it my repurchase is based entirely upon taste. For example, I will always buy Reese’s cups, even if they packaged them with a liver and onions-themed motif, heheh.

Posted: 02 July 2008 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2008-07-02

i definitely think one of the most appealing things about japanese candy is the beautiful, elegant packaging.  lovely boxes, attractive sleeves and wrappers—possibly overpackaged, but the attention to detail is crazy!

Posted: 02 July 2008 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2008-07-02

Yeah I love wrappers which are looking nice and have a great design. I also collect chocolate wrapers so it is always cool to find a limited edition with a nice design like for christmas or easter.

Posted: 02 July 2008 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-07-02

I’m very attracted by the current trend towards cigarette-style boxes.  I don’t buy a lot of candy because I get a lot of freebies, but the new boxes are definitely getting me to buy more gum.

Posted: 03 July 2008 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Bit o Honey
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2008-07-02

Package design can definitely make me buy a product. Not so much what style of tin, box, etc they’re in but the graphic design. I’m actually studying graphic design in college, hoping to do package design in the future.

Right now I’m getting interested in eco-friendly packaging. Like, biodegradable, recycled material, etc.

Posted: 06 July 2008 01:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2008-07-02

I agree with Currigirl.  I will buy a candy once because the package is intriguing but if the stuff inside isn’t as good I won’t be buying it again.

Posted: 13 July 2008 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Junior Mint
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2008-07-11

The York Mint tins now have “instructions” on the plastic seal saying to twist the lid to open it but I find using my fingernails and prying it open works the best

The ones with the instructions now say there are 15 calories per serving and the one without it say 10. Makes me wonder if they changed something and that bumped the calories up a bit or if they were wrong about them to begin with.

I love those mints,they ones with the new wrapper are a lot softer(fresher maybe?) than the older ones. They remind me of when I used to microwave m&ms;to soften them up so they melt even better in my mouth.

Posted: 14 July 2008 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-07-13

If the graphics are greatish, I’m much more likely to buy. Glee Gum falls into that category, as do York Mints—particularly the special seasonal York Mints tin (I don’t care if my mints fall all over the place when I try to open the tin, I just love the graphics!) wink

Posted: 15 July 2008 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2008-07-12

Some packaging will keep me from buying something I love, particularly mints.  Lifesavers has these fruit-flavored mints, but the tin is absolutely maddening.  It “pops” open by pushing down on the center of the top ((if that makes any sense)).  Because the tin is completely metal, the popping accompanied by the rattling of the mints in the tin when any sort of movement is made makes it impossible to retrieve a mint during class without half of my peers looking at me.  I bought them once, and they rattled so much in my purse and were such a big to-do just to eat a mint, that I will no longer buy them.

</rant>

Posted: 15 July 2008 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-07-13

The packaging may appeal to me to buy it but ultimately the taste matters most.
Trying to think of a poorly package but great tasting candy… can’t think of any in particular.
My favourite of the moment is Cadbury Boost, which I think its packaging can be improved.

Posted: 16 July 2008 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-07-12

i’m a fool for a good-looking tin!  only one time, though.  the contents must move me to buy again.  i use some of the prettier japanese paper wrappers to make greeting cards.

Signature 

(\__/)
(=’.’=)
(”)_(”)

Posted: 19 July 2008 06:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Bit o Honey
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2008-07-02
Frances - 15 July 2008 12:42 AM

If the graphics are greatish, I’m much more likely to buy. Glee Gum falls into that category, as do York Mints—particularly the special seasonal York Mints tin (I don’t care if my mints fall all over the place when I try to open the tin, I just love the graphics!) wink

Haha! That’s the same reason I picked up Glee Gum first. Now it’s absolutely my favorite gum. (but I have braces now :( )

Posted: 19 July 2008 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Bit o Honey
RankRank
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2008-07-01

Oh yeah, it plays a big part! Not only the packaging, but the graphic design as well.

Those Kisses bags get me every time. I have to use scissors on most everything ‘cause I like to save the packages.

Signature 

thecandyenthusiast.com

Posted: 28 July 2008 08:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2008-07-05

I agree with Cybele on the bats bags. For just that reason I keep a small pair of scissors on top of my mini fridge, where I keep them, just to open bags like that. So frustrating. But worth it!

Since I fell off of a stool it’s been even worse. For some reason, my hand and fingers get real swollen now making it even harder to open certain packages.

I will say though that packaging plays a part in what I buy. I recently purchased all of the Hershey’s line simply because they were using that retro package look. I used the excuse that I wanted to photograph them, but I’m going to have to try and find them again when I go shopping next week, as I ate some of them before I could photograph it.  smile

Signature 

1 of 2