forgot password?

How Long Does Candy Last?
Posted: 14 September 2008 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2008-07-02

I know..it’s a broad topic, but to be more specific, how long should you keep certain candies? 

I have some Cadbury Easter eggs, and was wondering what the shelf life of those might be?  Some candies are made a few months before they even hit the store shelves!! 

How long has anyone kept any candy they love and what was the result? 

Thanks for your input!

Posted: 15 September 2008 03:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Junior Mint
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2008-08-14

I’ve eaten Halloween candy that was over a year old since I bought it, and probably months older before it was put out for sale. Most candy will last years I think, if properly stored. Some stuff gets stale, or hard over time, but a lot of it will last ages upon ages if you keep it from getting wet/too hot etc. Is it as good as when it’s fresh? :/ that’s purely opinion I think. I have eaten old candy that was fine, and old candy that wasn’t stored right and not so fine.

Signature 

...The snowman is watching you!

Posted: 15 September 2008 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  172
Joined  2005-09-11

I’ve just started taking out my Easter candy that I’ve had stowed away. (Hershey’s Eggs and Cadbury Mini Eggs.)

Chocolate is usually good for a year, I say 6-8 months after the “holiday” it was sold at is probably a good bet. Some have expiration dates on them. Most importantly though is storing it. Cool, dark shelves are best. I’m not keen on stuff that’s been frozen (but maybe it’s just my freezer that smells).

Hard candies and other sugar candies can be good for 18 months.

Combination candies that have fillings or nuts in them might go bad sooner. I know that Cadbury Creme Eggs are finicky and can get chalky on this inside even in May or June.

Signature 

Open your mouth ... expand your mind.

Posted: 19 September 2008 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2008-09-19

It does depend on the candy how long after the expiration date it’s still okay to eat. If it has coconut or nuts or anything that can go rancid you shouldn’t eat it after the expiration date. If it’s summer and it’s gotten too hot, coconut can go rancid before the expiration date. In ideal conditions chocolate is good for several months past the date printed on the package. Milk or dark chocolate that has a white hazy film on it has probably expired or gotten too hot. Some distributors in the warmer climates don’t ship chocolate in the summer.