forgot password?

Candy Cooking with a Hand Mixer
Posted: 08 September 2008 04:48 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Bit o Honey
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2008-07-02

About a year ago, I watched an episode of Good Eats, where he made marshmallows. Since then, I’ve been dying to try it myself. Alas, I do not have a stand mixer. And, I probably won’t have one for a long time, as I am a cheap college student who can’t justify spending $200+ on a mixer I won’t use that often. I have been thinking of buying a hand-held electric mixer, though.

So, is it possible to make marshmallows with a hand mixer? Or meringue cookies? Chiffon cake? Has anyone tried?

[ Edited: 08 September 2008 05:04 AM by Karwei]

Posted: 12 September 2008 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Bit o Honey
RankRank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2008-07-02

I don’t have trouble mixing meringue or cake batters by hand mixer. I usually prepare my cheesecakes with the handmixer too, since it’s a bother to set up the big mixer sometimes. Just make sure you pick one that’s got a good motor. A $20 model from walmart, so to speak, may crap out on you pretty quick.

The only thing I’d advise against with a hand mixer is doubling batches. You may also find you need to whip longer than with a stand mixer and make sure you don’t have a recipe where you’re going to need three hands wink I’ve done that to myself a couple times…

Posted: 29 September 2008 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2008-09-29

I have made meringue no problem with a hand mixer. Marshmallows I have never made but it seems likely that you could do it. I did make some hummus once (candy can be thick like that too) and blew up a mixer. It was old and may have been dying anyway, but if you aren’t careful, you can let all the smoke out of your mixer when mixing thick substances.

Good luck!

Signature 

Carl Weaver
CandyDishBlog.com

Posted: 22 October 2008 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2008-07-02

And don’t forget that with a hand mixer - you have to hold it there the whole time - even if it takes 20 minutes!  :D It can definately be done, just be prepared to be the “stand” for your mixer!  :D