forgot password?

Chocolate Lovers Pained by Candy Changes (ABC News)
Posted: 02 September 2008 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  172
Joined  2005-09-11

Chocolate Lovers Pained by Candy Changes
More ‘Chocolate’ Candy Bars Now Include Vegetable Oils Instead of Pricey Cocoa Butter
By ALICE GOMSTYN
ABC NEWS Business Unit
Sept. 2, 2008

For years, Sharon Leitner’s candy bar of choice was Take 5.

“I liked that it was a combination of different flavors,” the Cincinnati resident said. “It was salty and sweet, [with] caramel and peanut butter and chocolate, and it had something for everybody.”

But this past spring, Leitner, 24, noticed a change.

“It just didn’t taste like it used to,” she said. The new taste was “more waxy and artificial.”

The article traces a lot of the changes in Hershey’s products.

Hershey, meanwhile, stands by its products. The company “is committed to making the world’s best chocolate,” said spokesman Kirk Saville.

While a “handful” of the company’s products do include vegetable oils other than cocoa butter, he said, “we continue to make Hershey’s, Hershey’s Kisses, Reese’s peanut butter cups with pure milk chocolate as we have for over a century.”

I’m afraid that the specific listing of those products means that they’re going to be the ONLY ones with real chocolate soon.

(Yes, I was interviewed for this article, too. There’s also an interesting bunch of comments on it at the ABC News site as well, so click through.)

Here’s the story on all one page.

Signature 

Open your mouth ... expand your mind.

Posted: 02 September 2008 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-08-11

That’s a great article ~ thanks for sharing. smile

Some of the comments were interesting (I couldn’t see them through your link though, I had to go to the original site).

I wonder if they will change their ways if enough people complain?

Posted: 02 September 2008 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-11
shallowgal - 02 September 2008 08:33 PM

I wonder if they will change their ways if enough people complain?

I think it’s entirely possible.

I think that Mars changed their use of peanuts in the Snickers Almond bar because of consumer comments.

And Hershey’s did bring back Good & Fruity (even if it wasn’t the one that everyone knew and loved) due to customer demand.

It really can’t hurt to write to them and tell them that you preferred the product the old way and won’t buy it until they put it back.

Signature 

Posted: 03 September 2008 03:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Junior Mint
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2008-08-14

Dang. I guess this means that kitkats are no longer going to be edible with a mockolate coating…

Does anyone know if these changes will be throughout the globe or just in the cheap, US market? I hope canadian and other international kitkats don’t change… I could get my boyfriend to send me a huge box during the winter.

Signature 

...The snowman is watching you!

Posted: 03 September 2008 06:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Junior Mint
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2008-07-11

you know, I wouldn’t mind paying a higher price for the candy if it meant it actually tasted like it should, how I remember it should taste

and I know I’m not alone, hopefully these companies will realize that too

Posted: 03 September 2008 06:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Junior Mint
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-14

Indeed. I’d rather pay an extra $1-2 a bag of the minis or an extra 50 cents a candy bar (rediculous as that is) then get fake chocolate crap.

I’m starting a facebook group to protest this and educate people on the whole fake chocolate debacle in the US this year, if anyone is interested in joining up.

Signature 

Posted: 10 September 2008 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Bit o Honey
RankRank
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2008-07-01

I can’t believe I didn’t notice this earlier…thanks for sharing this Cybele and for once again taking a stand to protect chocolate.

Signature 

thecandyenthusiast.com

Posted: 10 September 2008 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Bit o Honey
RankRank
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2008-07-01
Yurei - 03 September 2008 01:54 PM

I’m starting a facebook group to protest this and educate people on the whole fake chocolate debacle in the US this year, if anyone is interested in joining up.

I’d be willing to join and help out if you needed it. smile

Signature 

thecandyenthusiast.com

Posted: 10 September 2008 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-11
Yurei - 03 September 2008 01:54 PM

Yes, please let us know about it!

(Feel free to start a new thread about it too, it’s important.)

I did an interview with the National Post of Canada who is also looking into it (from a Canadian perspective, of course) and the Today Show came and shot an interview earlier this week with me that will air Thursday, September 18th (sometime between 7:30 and 8:30 barring any huge breaking news).

So it will be very timely!

Signature 

Posted: 10 September 2008 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Junior Mint
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-14

please, the more the merrier! i get tired to talking to myself real quickly wink I posted a thread on it in the candy talk board. and oooh you’re going to be on tv Cyble? I shall have to drag my arse out of bed early for that!

Signature