forgot password?

That chocolate bar you’re eyeing may be older than it looks (Canada)
Posted: 26 August 2008 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  172
Joined  2005-09-11

That chocolate bar you’re eyeing may be older than it looks
Misty Harris ,  Canwest News Service
Published: Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Here’s some interesting stuff in the article:

In investigating 3,206 candy bars from eight major retailers in Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa and Vancouver, researchers from Brock University and Carleton University discovered the average confection sat for 140 days, or about four and a half months, before reaching the consumer. On average, slightly more than three per cent were past the estimated shelf life of a year, although at certain stores the proportion was as high as six per cent.

And:

Broken down by brand, candy bars manufactured by Mars and Hershey took the shortest trip to consumers, while Nestle and Cadbury took longer.

It is tough though, not all companies use easily readable dates. Here are a few that I found the codes for so far:
http://www.typetive.com/candyblog/category/expiration

Signature 

Open your mouth ... expand your mind.

Posted: 27 August 2008 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2008-07-02

This must be why they put an encoded date on bars - they don’t want you to know how old they really are.

Posted: 27 August 2008 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Junior Mint
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2008-08-14
arenee - 27 August 2008 04:57 PM

This must be why they put an encoded date on bars - they don’t want you to know how old they really are.

Indeed, it’s the same thing they do with the tires on your car so you don’t know that those “brand new” tires you purchased may actually be 6 to 15 years old and thus a potential, life threatening hazard. =_=;

I put a frey’s candy bar down at target today even though I really wanted to try it because the best by date said “august 20th 2008”. oh sure, it would have been perfectly alright to eat, but not at its peak, and i want to try it fresh for the first time to get an accurate impression, never mind the fact that i’m paying $2 for this very thin bar.

Bless their hearts at Frey and Ritter though, at least they put the best buy dates in plain English.

Signature 

...The snowman is watching you!

Posted: 19 September 2008 03:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2008-09-19

I know buried in another section of this site is a section on expiration date codes, but here it is in a shortened form.

Hershey and Nestle date the same way. You’ll see a lot of numbers on the back but all you need to worry about is the group with 1 # and 1 letter, Example 69k 9H 1.  The 9H means the year it will expire, in this case 2009 and the H means August. A is January, B is February, etc. This dating is also on all Hershey products from syrup to cocoa powder to candy bars. The expiration date code will always be in a separate space. Items that will expire in 2010 will be dated 0H.
A lot of Hershey products have the expiration dates written on them: August 2009.

M&M;doesn’t put an expiration date on candy, it’s up to you to decide if it’s too old to eat. There will be a long list of numbers but you are only looking at the first 3; 8062695876. This means it was made the sixth week of 2008. In most cases the expiration date is 1 year from the manufacture date but that’s not always true so be careful.

Hershey is the only chocolate company that gives the stores credit for out of date products. Hershey has employees who go to convenience stores and grocery stores and pull out of date products from the shelves in hopes that all of their products are fresh. Nestle and M&M;do not give credit and their products will more than likely sit on shelves way past their expiration date.

Do not buy a pieces of candy unless you read that date first and remember if it feels “funny” it’s probably out of date or got too hot.