forgot password?

1 of 2
Much-maligned candies you happen to like
Posted: 15 August 2008 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2008-07-03

Is there a confection that many other folks find disgusting that you find delectable?

Here are mine—Peanut Butter Kisses. The chewy little buff-colored delights in the black or orange twisted wrappers. Little nuggets of nastiness to many people, I know, but to me, a candy delicacy. A shame they’re only available around Halloween.

Candy Corn—smooth, rich-tasting butterscotch-esque kernels of YUMMINESS! I don’t care what Lewis Black said.

Bunny Basket Eggs (“Marshmallow” eggs)—To me, they taste like hardened dollops of cake frosting. I love cake frosting. Nuff said.

Black licorice—a rich, sweet zingy taste that, to me, is like chewing on root beer.

OK fellow candy-fans. Your turn!

Posted: 15 August 2008 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Bit o Honey
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2008-07-02

Hmm…does marzipan count? I know a lot of people who don’t like it, but I just think it’s wonderful.

Posted: 15 August 2008 08:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Junior Mint
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2008-07-11

I love candy corn too

I don’t like the brachs brand much, maybe I had a bad bag, but the best candy corn I’ve tasted has been the walmart and meijer brands

Posted: 18 August 2008 03:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2008-07-09

Cadbury Creme Eggs! It’s such a shame they’re only available at Easter.

My friends and family absolutely abhor them claiming they have a terrible sickening consistency and just a plain bad taste, but I love the creamy Cadbury milk chocolate and runny fondant centre.

My one caveat to that would be that I love the eggs that are released in Canada and the U.K. I believe that my American friends are wholly justified in hating them as I had a package of the U.S. ones that I got at Target and found the centre to be thick like cheap, canned cake frosting that is cloyingly sweet and the chocolate to be hard and almost resistant to melting. Absolutely nothing like the ones released up here.

I also liked the NY Cheesecake Kisses that everyone else seemed to hate. My friends would say they are just a ball of sweet, but I found you could actually taste the cheesecake if you let them melt in your mouth.

Posted: 21 August 2008 06:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Bit o Honey
RankRank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2008-07-02

I’m with Jace on the Creme Eggs, though I think you must’ve got a bad US batch - usually they’re just like in Canada (I’m canadian, living in the US for years now). The last few years the results can be really mixed… sometimes I think it’s because they hold over old stock, or production is just getting sloppier.

The other thing is spearmint leaves. I keep finding them in the discount bins and I can’t imagine why. I love them more than the fruity jellies.

Posted: 23 August 2008 09:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2008-07-05

I was quite surprised to learn that some people don’t like candy corn. My guess is they only eat the generic stuff, which as this link from the Onion shows, isn’t good for you at all! Onion piece on Candy Corn

Posted: 23 August 2008 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Junior Mint
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2008-07-11

I love peeps

fresh peeps

I don’t like the stale ones

Posted: 27 August 2008 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Bit o Honey
RankRank
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2008-07-01

White Chocolate.

I love candy corn too. *Especially* the mellow creme pumpkins. Has to be Brach’s too.

Signature 

thecandyenthusiast.com

Posted: 27 August 2008 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-08-27

I also am a fan of candy corn and bunny basket eggs.  I also like black jelly beans grin

Posted: 08 September 2008 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2008-07-02

another vote for candy corn (and i also agree that brach’s is not the best; i prefer Farleys)

i also like peeps, and those orange puffy circus peanuts.  both are better when stale!

Posted: 13 September 2008 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-09-13

I can eat the necco valentines hearts by the bag, mellowcreme pumpkins(taste different to me than candy corn, but i like both). those peanut butter kiss things, circus peanuts, peeps

Posted: 20 June 2009 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2008-08-17

My favorite “other-people-hate” candy is licorice- any kind of licorice- salty, sweet, bitter (like some of the italian and french.)  I recently found and made a recipe on Epicurious for licorice pudding that is blissfully good.  I have also found licorice ice cream on line (is one of my childhood memories) and once I get “flush” will have to splurge for a pint.

Posted: 06 July 2009 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-07-06

I, too, like those peanut butter taffies (Mary Janes?), Peeps, Candy Corn and Mallowcreme Pumpkins, and Easter “marshmallow” eggs.  I also like Necco wafers, especially the chocolate ones.

Posted: 14 July 2009 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-07-14

Two words… salt licorice…. preferably the Dutch double-salt stuff…. YIKES! how can I eat this stuff? how can I love it so??

Posted: 15 July 2009 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-07-15

I’ve always had a soft spot for circus peanuts.

Posted: 04 August 2009 07:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Pixy Stix
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2008-07-02

I, too, love candy corn! That yummy honey flavor, it’s such a treat when Halloween rolls around smile I also have a soft spot for taffy, especially the overly sweet/tangy kind, like Laffy Taffy. It’s such a guilty pleasure, more marketed towards children 13 and under I think, but I like it smile

1 of 2