forgot password?

Honey Sticks?
Posted: 14 August 2008 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Junior Mint
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2008-08-14

They’re not exactly candy so I’ll stick this thread here.

Have you ever had the old fashioned honey sticks before? They are kind of a general store fare thing like penny candy. Somewhat obscure and hard to find, though easier to get here in the North East because of all the old communities.

Anyway, if you’ve never had (or even seen) one they are basically clear plastic tubes several inches long, about the size of a coffee stirrer, or slightly larger around filled with honey. Often times the honey is flavored and comes in different colors, too. I’m not much of a honey fan, but these are pretty good and great to use in tea, I imagine. The only hard part about eating them right away is you have to find a kind soul with scissors or a pocket knife on them to cut an end off so you can suck the honey out.

They’re getting harder to find around here too. I usually have to go to someplace like the Brick Store up north or Twelve Pine. Not that that bothers me, because I also go to Twelve Pine to eat their great food, pick up some Lake Champlain chocolates and other imports, and get an Italian Soda while i’m there. I don’t hit the Brick Store very often- maybe once a year since it’s a couple of hours away, but I get their home made fudge, maybe some penny candy, and of course, their awesome smoked cheese and pepperoni.

And then of course, there’s Parker’s Maple Barn which also has the old fashioned candy like the honey sticks as well as fudge and all manner of maple candy… but I digress smile

Signature 

...The snowman is watching you!

Posted: 14 August 2008 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Bit o Honey
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2008-07-02

I used to like these when I was younger. I haven’t eaten one in a while. I do love honey, though, and will sometimes just put a little on a spoon and eat it. I dunno if you live by any Trader Joe’s, but the ones by me sell a little pack of 5 for a dollar.

Posted: 14 August 2008 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Junior Mint
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2008-08-14

Yes, I have a Trader Joe’s about 5 minutes away from where I live now, just over the state border into Massachusetts. For some reason, TJ’s just won’t move on up into NH. :( But, I do shop there occasionally. They’re a bit pricey compared to a normal grocery store, but I hear they’re cheaper than competing places in their niche such as Whole Foods. (which doesn’t seem to exist here)

I really enjoy their “Cat’s Cookies for People” among other things. I usually ogle the candy when i’m there, but don’t buy any because i’m usually shopping for either gifts or work essentials like the cookies for my lunches. And what a good deal they are, too! A huge tub for like $2.60 or something. But they have many good things they carry, such as Hansen’s soda, and the coconut and tiriamasu ice cream, the white balsamic vinegar….

Signature 

...The snowman is watching you!

Posted: 17 August 2008 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Bit o Honey
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2008-07-02

Yeah, that cat cookies are awesome. I just bought some yesterday. I do most of my shopping at Trader Joe’s, even though there is a Jewel walking-distance from where I live. raspberry